Sunday 1 May 2016

Term 1 2016

Wow - super slack! 7/8 OD 2016 have been so busy this term we have not managed to get our class blog updated!

Busy doing what you ask?

Swimming Sports

We had a day of swimming sports at the Olympic Pools where we worked together as a team to complete the challenges as fast as possible. We had to complete challenges such as saving our team mates with a life tube/buoy, underwater swimming, handstands and lots more! We enjoyed our lunch under the trees, chatting, playing football or playing on the playground.





Weetabix Triathlon


In preparation for the Weetabix Triathlon we learnt and practised transitioning. The triathlon was a new challenge for many of us. It was tough but exhilarating. Campion College won a prize for having the most entries from one school.




Whangara

We spent time preparing for and going on our trip to Whangara. Before going we learnt about what a powirhi is and the protocols we need to follow when we are part of a powhiri. We also learnt more about myth and legends by watching and discussing 'The Whale Rider'. We were able to identify different scenes from the movie at Whangara. In Science, we also learnt about the rocky shore environment and how creatures adapt to survive in this environment. We all completed 6 activities - surfing, rocky shore (one group saw over 30 crabs), weaving, boogie boarding, koru art and the scavenger hunt. Thanks to Erin and all our parent helpers we all extremely well-fed (yum!).





From 6:30 am swims, as the sun was rising, to weaving in the shade, we had LOTS of fun facing new challenges, learning new skills and getting to know each other.

Cyber Safety

We also learned about and had lots of interesting discussions about being safe online.
We found this video particularly interesting and it stimulated lots of conversation. We discussed the many ways we need to stay safe online but also the benefits of having this technology at our finger tips.


Other Learning
In class, to mention but a few things, we revised how to use punctuation correctly by looking at the structure of basic, compound and complex sentences. We learned about alliteration, adjectives and similes. We looked at the structure of a myth so we could write our own :-). In Science, we explored the adaptive features of different animals before creating a 3D rocky shore creature of our own.

What did you most enjoy about Term 1 this year?









16 comments:

  1. Hello 7/8 OD.
    I really like the photos because I am in some of them :).

    By Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey 78 OD,
    I love your photos.
    My favourite part of Term 1 was the Whangara trip my favourite part of the trip was the weaving as I got to learn a new skill.
    Thanks Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 7/8 OD,
    I really love the photos of the fun stuff you did. What I really enjoyed in Term 1 was the Whangara Trip, especially waking up every morning and going for a swim.

    Thanks Ms OD
    Keep it up, Jamie Adams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello 7/8 OD,
    Super great pictures of Whangara, I really like the artistic subjects on the Whangara camp :)

    Bye for now. Gabrielle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi 7/8 OD
    What I liked about term to was the end of it.
    😆jk haha😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi 7/8 OD,
    I really love the photos of the fun stuff you did. What I really enjoyed in Term 1 was the Whangara Trip, especially waking up every morning and going for a swim.

    Thanks Ms OD
    Keep it up, Jamie Adams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi 7/8 OD,
    What I have really enjoyed in Term 1 was playing basketball with my friends.I also enjoyed the swimming sports at the Olympic Pools.

    Thanks, Eli

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEY 7/8 OD!
    I like the photos. In Term 1 I enjoyed the Weet-Bix triathlon. I enjoyed doing it and I was happy to get a free breakfast. I also really enjoyed the Whangara Camp experience. I especially enjoyed the boogie boarding because we could just relax and catch some waves. I didn't like it when a towering wave came crashing over me and pushed me under water. I walked away with a fairly sore head because it hit the ground when the wave came crashing over me. I'm lucky my nose didn't get flattened!

    Thanks for such a good time Ms Odonnell!

    From Owen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello 7/8 OD I loved whangara camp because I made a lot of new friends
    and I have the best home room. keep it 7/8 OD

    your best friend Riley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi 7/8 OD,
    What I have really enjoyed in Term 1 was playing basketball with my friends.I also enjoyed the swimming sports at the Olympic Pools.

    Thanks, Eli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey 7/8 OD
    Awesome pics of whangara, What i enjoyed the most about term 1 was surfing and boggie boarding :).

    Thanks Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey 7/8 OD,
    What I liked about term 1... was meeting my group of friends who I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello 7/8 OD. I loved the Whangara Camp because I made a lot of new friends and I have the best homeroom. Keep it up 7/8 OD

    Your best friend Riley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi 7/8 OD
    In term 1 I enjoyed PE with mrs edge. I also enjoyed lunch time playing basketball with my friends.

    Thanks from OLI

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi 7/8 OD, awesome photos!
    What I really enjoyed in term 1 was the Whangara camp and also meeting my amazing new friends!
    FRom Jasmyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey 7/8 OD,
    I really loved the photos especially the swimming sports ones :) I been a really awesome year so far.

    Looking forward to the rest of the term,Jennah Mugridge

    ReplyDelete